Fight gum disease, tooth decay and bad breath with this simple DIY toothpaste.
When we think of a clean and healthy mouth, admittedly, our thoughts probably do not jump right to hemp oil. However, one of the newest and most exciting uses of Hemp oil/ CBD is changing how we approach dental care.
Even though dental care and Hemp oil may seem a strange combination, here are a few points of consideration:
- Full spectrum hemp oil is an anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti fungal agent. As well, the cannabinoids in hemp oil also act as a bone stimulant, which means it not only prevents the variables that can cause cavities and decay, but it can also assist in helping to repair damaged teeth and bone structure.
- Destruction of the jawbone in periodontitis is related to specific mediators causing inflammation and resorption of bone. New research in animal studies has shown that CBD will decrease this inflammation and prevent destruction of the jawbone that is part of the progression of periodontitis. It is possible that supplemental hemp oil based cannabinoids could improve healing of teeth, gum and bones by reducing these damaging effects caused by advanced gum disease.
These findings are creating new possibilities for those who not only want a great cleaning agent for their teeth but who also want to treat or prevent periodontal disease.
Try it out for yourself with a simple Do It Yourself homemade hemp oil toothpaste.
To make a great toothpaste we are going to combine several powerhouse ingredients:
Organic Baking Soda
Organic Coconut Oil
Green Flower Botanical’s – Full Spectrum Hemp Oil
The benefits of brushing with baking soda have long been known. As well, most of us have heard of the miraculous power of oil pulling with coconut oil to heal teeth and gums. The addition of cannabinoids from full spectrum hemp oil, combined with baking soda and coconut oil make this toothpaste a dental powerhouse for your medicine cabinet.
Here at Green Flower Botanicals our mission is to help people take control of their health by creating personalized medicine. Why use regular toothpaste when you can create a personalized toothpaste that helps you treat and advance your specific dental health needs. This is a great recipe that you can use as a starting point and add or take away ingredients to make the perfect formula for your situation.
To get started you will need the following ingredients:
3 Tbsp. Organic Baking Soda
3 Tbsp. of coconut oil
1/2 – 1 Tsp. of peppermint oil drops depending on preference
GFB Full Spectrum Hemp Oil
2 Tsp. of glycerin
Small amount of stevia or Xylitol
- Take 3 Tbsp of coconut oil and put in a small glass jar or cup.
- Liquify the coconut oil by placing on a window sill in direct sunlight or place the glass jar in a bowl of warm water.
- Once the coconut oil is liquified, add 2 tsp of glycerin and 1/2 – 1 tsp of pure peppermint oil.
- Determine the potency of CBD you want in your toothpaste. If you use a 1/4 tsp serving each time you brush you will have approximately 60 servings. We used 1.5 ml (30 drops) of Green Flower Botanicals 750mg Full Spectrum Hemp Oil which will give you approximately 1.25 mg of CBD per brushing. You can use more or less depending upon preference and the severity of the condition of your dental health. Keep in mind, if you want more CBD’s you can always create a simple mouthwash using distilled water, CBD oil drops and peppermint oil to go along with your toothpaste.
- Add CBD oil to the coconut oil, glycerin and peppermint oil and stir well to mix.
- Add 3 Tbsp of baking soda and mix well
- Add a pinch of stevia or xylitol for sweetness.
- Taste and add peppermint or sweetener to get the right blend of minty and sweet.
- Place toothpaste in a sealable container (we prefer glass). (Amazon sells refillable tubes if you want a tube for your toothpaste)
- Brush your teeth and enjoy!
More and more people are choosing to make their own toothpaste as opposed to store brands. It has been speculated that mixtures like this are in fact more effective and better suited for maintaining healthy teeth than most major brand toothpaste.